DeWitt Charter Township requires permits be issued prior to the start of any work that falls under the following categories:
- New construction, additions, remodeling, fencing, demolition, moving structures, decks, sheds, garages and carports.
- Any type of swimming pool capable of holding 24 vertical inches of water, including inflatable pools.
- Sewer connections and repairs to existing sewer services.
- Permanent and temporary signs.
- Fencing over 7 feet in height.
- Residential re-roof with structural repair/replacement.
- All commerical re-roofing, re-siding or window replacement.
*Please Note - Permits may be required for other projects not listed above. It is recommended that you call our office before commencing any work.
Exemptions from the requirement for permits are as follows:
- Fences 7 feet or less in height and residential sheds 200 square feet or less, however you must first file a site plan for approval of the location.
- Retaining walls not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.
- Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
- Prefabricated swimming pools that are designed to hold less than 24 vertical inches of water.
- Residential re-roof that does not involve any structural repair/replacement.
- Residential same size replacement windows or doors.
- Exterior window awnings supported by an exterior wall.
- Sidewalks or driveways that are not more than 30 inches above the adjacent grade and not over a basement or story below and are not part of an accessible route.
- Water tanks of 5,000 gallon or less capacity supported on grade that do not have a height to diameter or width ratio of greater than 2 to 1.
Permit applications can be obtained in person at the DeWitt Charter Township Building Department during normal business hours. Permit applications are also available online in our Documents & Forms section. Completed applications can be mailed back or returned in person to the Building Department.
Drive permits are available through the Clinton County Road Commission. The Road Commission offices are located at 3536 S. BR 127, St. Johns, MI 48879 or by calling (989) 224-3274. This and other information relating to roads in the Township is available online through their web site: www.ccrc-roads.com.
Soil Erosion Permits
Soil erosion permits are issued through the Clinton County Building Department. Information on soil erosion permits can be obtained by calling (989) 224-5180 or online through the County’s website: www.clinton-county.org.
Complaints regarding junk, trash, and junk motor vehicles can be made by calling the Building Department. We will investigate all complaints. Actual violations will be pursued as allowed by law. Junk motor vehicle complaints involve a notice procedure that may take 6 to 8 weeks. If we have to trace the owner of the vehicle, this procedure may take even longer. Your patience is appreciated.